Remember, It's Better to Look Up

February 16, 2015 

Family and Friends,
As the week begins, great joy fills my soul. I love the hymn in our church, "There is Sunshine in My Soul Today" because it is a friendly reminder to always maintain a positive attitude. This past week has been incredibly busy and incredibly tiring. However, more than anything it's been incredibly rewarding. I feel like my testimony has kicked up a couple of notches because I have spent most of my time either in meetings or on my knees. We have so many ways to receive revelation in this latter day work which is quite frankly my favorite part. The Lord has given us the resources to nurture our testimonies and provide nourishment to our seeds of faith. We can literally communicate with our Father in Heaven. Think about that. When I realize the power and magnitude of prayer, it simply baffles me. We can communicate with our Father in Heaven if we are humble enough to receive his answers.  
This past week I was transferred to Yakima and received a new companion. His name is Elder Knowles and he is an incredible missionary.  He is from Logan, Utah and came to the mission to work.  We are so excited for the work happening in our area and in our zone. Although we haven't had an immense amount of time in our area this week, I can see that the work is on fire here! 
I would like to share this brief story with you about Carl B. Cook, a member of the Quorum of the Seventy.
At the end of a particularly tiring day toward the end of my first week as a General Authority, my briefcase was overloaded and my mind was preoccupied with the question “How can I possibly do this?” I left the office of the Seventy and entered the elevator of the Church Administration Building. As the elevator descended, my head was down and I stared blankly at the floor.
The door opened and someone entered, but I didn’t look up. As the door closed, I heard someone ask, “What are you looking at down there?” I recognized that voice—it was President Thomas S. Monson.
I quickly looked up and responded, “Oh, nothing.” (I’m sure that clever response inspired confidence in my abilities!)
But he had seen my subdued countenance and my heavy briefcase. He smiled and lovingly suggested, while pointing heavenward, “It is better to look up!” As we traveled down one more level, he cheerfully explained that he was on his way to the temple. When he bid me farewell, his parting glance spoke again to my heart, “Now, remember, it is better to look up."
Family and friends, look up this week. Face every problem with a smile on your face and cherish the moments that matter most. I love you so incredibly much and love this work. 

Have a great week,
Elder Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment