Week 4 in the Mission Field

"May we ever be found in doing the work of the Lord."-Thomas S. Monson. What an amazing time this is to be involved in the hastening of this perfect gospel. As I have been pondering and meditating the teachings in The Book of Mormon, I come to realize the magnitude of my calling.  As the missionary work in my designated area is progressing slowly and we become discouraged, I remember the powerful words in the Book of Alma, Chapter 26. It reads, "Now when our hearts are depressed, and we are about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforts us, and says: Go amongst thy brethren, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success."  The Lord is truly a comforter and offers such a magnificent promise in the scripture above.  
This past weekend I had the amazing opportunity to listen to the words of a living Prophet and Apostles on the earth today. Before this weekend, I had never truly listened to General Conference with sincere intent. It was spiritually uplifting to listen to these divinely inspired words and teachings. Something that has deeply affected myself on my mission is finding the LIGHT OF CHRIST in others. In this conference, Elder Holland taught, "Pure Christlike LOVE flowing from righteousness can CHANGE THE WORLD." I have a firm testimony that when we demonstrate the Light of Christ (which everyone possesses) we can assist our fellow travelers in this challenging journey through life. I´ve learned that by following our Lord, we can more fully feel this pure love of Christ. We know of this truthfulness by pondering D&C 50:24 which reads, "That which is of God is light: and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light: and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day."
This week I was able to be involved in my first Bible Bash on my mission. From this experience I've learned that first, I need to learn more about the Bible and second, it's ALWAYS essential to be polite. My companion and I were unfortunately forgetting our purpose due to the rudeness of this gentleman. 
What an amazing time to be on a mission. I am beyond grateful to be here in Othello, Washington where I am blessed with numerous opportunities to serve and consistently meet Sons and Daughters of God.  I know I repeat myself every week, but I deeply miss all my family and friends and think about you constantly. 
LOVE ALWAYS,
Elder Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment