6 Months Tomorrow!

 July 28, 2014
Family, Friends, and Cows,
How is everyone's week going?  We're coming up on August here and the summer is sadly coming to a close.  Where has the time gone?  At times I feel like days feel like months, but the months feel like days.  Time lapse is quite unpredictable while serving a mission. Tomorrow, I'll have been out on my mission for 6 months....that's unbelievable!  I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the missionary tradition and burn a tie for my 6th month mark.  Apparently, when you hit your 6th month mark you burn a tie, 1 year you burn a white shirt, 1 1/2 years you burn pants, and 2 years you burn an entire suit!  Those crazy missionaries and their traditions:)

We've heard and seen several strange things happen since we've arrived in this small city.  Today we had the opportunity to de-horn some cows for good old Brother Finch.  I felt quite inexperienced and am not fully adjusted to this farming lifestyle.  I was in charge of holding the cows still as he burned the horns off.  I couldn't believe he put a little guy like me to tend to this cows that were kicking a screaming.  My skinny body had to fight back and dodge the cow's kicks! He was giving me a bad time about being a little city surfer boy:) 
Warden Fun Fact:  *In the 1980's Warden, Washington was the murder capital of the world per capita*
As far as our housing situation it's fairly nice.  We are living in a trailer out in the country and far from town.  Unfortunately, the AC blew out and it's been 100 degrees fairly consistently.  It's quite exciting living under different circumstances.  My companion's are doing great and we are enjoying each others company.  Elder Sittman is going home next Monday and leaving me and Elder Johnson to take over Warden. 
This week, I had the opportunity to have the first baptism's in my mission. Sara Leishman and Jessi Madragales.  I know these two very well and was so excited to see them enter the waters of baptism.  Being a part of these baptisms was the boost I needed to keep a spiritual mindset. The service went tremendously smoothly and was a spiritually uplifting experience for all who attended.  I had never realized how much work it is prepare a baptismal service!  The following day, we confirmed them as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Receiving the Gift  of the Holy Ghost is a remarkable experience.  Throughout there lives, as they stay worthy, they will be led and guided to paths of righteousness and happiness. You can tell that these two are truly converted and will always be faithful members of the church.
Well I'll email you all next week with some more crazy stories about Warden, Washington!

Love Always,
Elder Smith


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment