Mexico MTC- Week 2

I had yet another wonderful week in the CCM (Mexico Missionary Training Center).  The week started off on Sunday when I attended church.  Church here is a little different considering it's all in Spanish.  Also, I had my first opportunity to bless the sacrament in Spanish with my companion.  Fortunately, we both got it on the first time.  That same night was the dedication of the CCM.  Words cannot describe how grateful I was to see an apostle, Dallin H. Oaks, give such a meaningful prayer and talk.  An event like this only happens once every fifteen years.  Sunday was a very spiritual day and one that I will never forget.  I cried several times that day.  I'm not exactly sure why I cried, but I'm sure it's because of the spirit overload at the MTC.
As far as my companion and I, we're doing great.  Elder Pullman and I have become very close friends and enjoy progressing in Spanish.  We were also told by our teacher that we both had to get haircuts.  I would normally be okay with this statement, but the hairstylist doesn't speak English.  "NO MUY PEQUENO; NO MUY PEQUENO!" That was about the only advice I could translate.  She did a phenomenal job.
My schedule here at the MTC keeps my companion and I very busy.  I will give you a brief rundown of my day.  The day starts off at 6:30 a.m. when we wake up.  Then I take a shower and get dressed for breakfast which starts at 7:15 a.m.  Usually a very mediocre breakfast is eaten, after which I put lots of Nutella on a piece of bread and become satisfied.  After breakfast, we have personal study time and teach an investigator (AKA our teacher). Two more hours of personal gospel study pass then it's lunch time.  Lunch is my favorite meal of the day.  After lunch we go on a computer program called TALL to help us progress with Spanish.  Then it's time to go to the tienda (shop).  Although it is not required to go, it's my favorite part of the day because my companion and I load up on the cheap Mexican candy.  Sorry Mom.  Then we have language study, followed by gym time, followed by dinner.  We also teach another investigator at night.  Preparing lessons is overwhelming, but it's my job as a missionary!  After, the teacher instructs us on things we can improve on.  Finally it is time to prepare for bed.
My Spanish is slowly progressing and my knowledge of the gospel is increasing tremendously.  I wish I could just flip a switch in my head to learn Spanish, but I must be patient and put in the hard work.  The Lord is so great for giving me this opportunity.  Serving a mission is by far the best decision I have ever made.  This week I realized that I have the power to do something that strengthens people, strengthens lives, and strengthens the Kingdom of God.  From what I've heard, missionaries either like or dislike the MTC.  Well... I love it!  I've had the opportunity to meet so many incredible people and learn so much in such a small amount of time.  Every second of my mission has been a joy.  The weather in Mexico has also been great.  Elder Pullman and I need the sun, and our Hispanic teacher has told us that numerous times.  These past two weeks have been the quickest two weeks of my life and before I know it, I'll be out in Kennewick, Washington preaching the gospel. Watching all the missionaries flow in and out of the MTC provides sure evidence that the Lord is truly hastening the work.  I know with all my heart that serving a mission was the right thing for me at this time in my life.  For I know that "This is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby a man can be saved in the Kingdom of God."  2 Nephi 31:21.  I miss and love you all deeply.
                                                                             Nos vemos,
                                                                                        Elder Smith




No comments:

Post a Comment